Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tonight's psychotherapy appointment

I had a good counseling session with my psychotherapist tonight.


I told Dr. Orgel that I suspect that I have gender dysphoria and that I'm an FTM Trans man. He seemed a little lit-up that I was self-diagnosing but other than that, he was very supportive.


I told him about how much I've been feeling uncomfortable about my breasts and that I've been strapping them down on and off for over the past 3 years. I'm increasing sensitive about gender pronouns and feel dismayed when I'm referred to as Ma'am or Lady. It didn't always bother me before if people referred to me as Ma'am or Sir but now I hate it when others use female pronouns in speaking to me. I told him that I've been wearing a soft pack penis and wearing men's underwear for a few years now but rarely brought up stuff like that in my counseling out of personal embarrassment. 


I asked Dr Orgel if he'd feel comfortable working with me on my transition and he seemed very willing and able to support me. He mentioned that he's had a little experience with dealing with trans people and that he didn't see me any differently because I want to transition to male. He also mentioned that he'd have to contact my insurance company and work out the additional counseling sessions I'll need to help me through the process. I'm really glad that I have Dr. Orgel on my side as a healer. He's been really great with me and I'm happy that he wants to support and work with me.


I guess my next step is to set-up an appointment with my primary physician and talk with her about starting testosterone. I really like Jennifer Lyons and I think she'll be cautious but supportive of me. I think I need to get some medical testing done to make sure I won't have any problems on testosterone but I have no idea how long that process will take. I can tell you that I'm feeling impatient and urgently want to start injections as soon as possible. I know I have to be patient and take my time but I also feel like I've waited a whole life-time to get to this point and now I'm chomping at the bit to get going. 



No comments:

Post a Comment